Friday started with bad injury news for the New York Yankees. It ended with the same.
An MRI revealed that reliever Dellin Betances has a spur causing inflammation in his right shoulder, general manager Brian Cashman said. The right-hander will receive a cortisone shot Saturday and will be shut down for three weeks, and Cashman said he’s at least six to seven weeks away from a big league return.
Betances went on the injured list last month because of right shoulder inflammation after seeing decreases in his velocity during spring training. He reported not feeling right while pitching in a simulated game earlier this week, leading to Friday’s MRI.
“The strong belief is that it will resolve, but it’s a killer because we’re missing him,” Cashman told reporters Friday night.
Betances had a 2.70 ERA and struck out 115 over 66⅔ innings last season while serving as the primary setup man for Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman.
Injuries have haunted New York this season. Earlier Friday, catcher Gary Sanchez (calf) became the 12th player on the team to land on the injured list.
More from my site
- Yankees Send Red Sox Deeper Into Their Early-Season Gloom “We’re healthy and we’re not playing good baseball,” Red Sox Manager Alex Cora said. “We’ve been inconsistent in every aspect of the game: pitching, offense, defense, base running. It’s on […]
- James Paxton of Yankees, Already Struggling, Will Face Crucial Test in Red Sox When James Paxton takes the mound at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, he will be at the center of one of baseball’s hottest rivalries. The crowd will be electric, the atmosphere charged if not […]
- C.C. Sabathia Gives the Yankees a Win and a Pick-Me-Up in His Return C. C. Sabathia strode off the mound Saturday, awash in an ovation that thundered throughout Yankee Stadium. The big left-hander had done more than bury the Chicago White Sox over five […]
- Gary Sanchez Becomes 12th Yankees Player to Join Injured List Maybe there is such a thing as an injury bug.Before a rain-shortened 9-6 loss to the Chicago White Sox on Friday, the Yankees placed catcher Gary Sanchez, their best power hitter through […]
- Rob Evans to miss rest of Scarlets’ season after shoulder surgery Wales prop Rob Evans will miss the rest of the Scarlets' season after undergoing surgery on an injured shoulder.Evans -- who was part of the Wales squad that won a Six Nations Grand Slam […]
- Jose Altuve Continues to Pester Yankees, Homering Twice as Astros Finish Sweep HOUSTON — Jose Altuve, the 5-foot-6 star second baseman for the Houston Astros, long ago proved that height doesn’t matter that much. He is a six-time All-Star, three-time batting champion […]
- Setback for Yankees’ Luis Severino Is Compounded by Loss to Astros HOUSTON — The Yankees will be without Luis Severino, their staff ace, until some time this summer, after it was revealed Tuesday that he strained a right latissimus dorsi muscle while […]
- Yankees Lose to Astros and Send Luis Severino for More Tests HOUSTON — In a young season already defined by injuries, the Yankees have sent their best pitcher for further tests on his throwing shoulder after his rehabilitation efforts stalled.Luis […]
- Yankees, With 3 Blasts by Gary Sanchez, Cap Homer-Driven Sweep of Orioles BALTIMORE — Gary Sanchez stepped to the plate in the ninth inning on Sunday with a chance at history. Four-homer games are more rare than perfect games, and Sanchez had already gone long […]
- England scrum-half Ben Youngs out for season with shoulder injury England scrum-half Ben Youngs will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing shoulder surgery, his club Leicester Tigers has revealed.England coach Eddie Jones has ruled himself […]