NHL teams that are part of the Jack Hughes sweepstakes will find out a lot earlier if they’ll get a chance to draft the highly regarded American center at No. 1.
The league announced Wednesday it was moving its draft lottery up to April 9, on the eve of the Stanley Cup playoffs. The event, which will take place in Toronto, typically occurred during the playoffs.
The 15 teams that do not make the postseason are eligible for the No. 1 pick. The team with the fewest regular-season points has a 18.5 percent chance at landing the top pick. The team with the second-fewest points has a 13.5 percent chance, and the team with the third fewest has a 11.5 percent chance.
As of Wednesday, the Ottawa Senators had the worst record in the NHL with a league-low 52 points. Unfortunately for the Senators, the Colorado Avalanche own that pick, from last season’s deal that sent Matt Duchene to Ottawa.
The 2019 NHL draft will be June 21 in Vancouver, British Columbia. Finnish winger Kaapo Kakko is believed to be the second-highest-rated prospect in the draft.
More from my site
- NHL Playoff Watch Daily – Playoff chances, Lose for Hughes projections and more Which teams have the best shot at locking up a spot in the 2019 Stanley Cup playoffs? Who's earning a better chance at the No. 1 overall pick?Here are the latest projections for both, […]
- Errani moves into second round at Guadalajara 125K GUADALAJARA, Mexico -- Former World No.5 and 2012 French Open finalist Sara Errani of Italy claimed an upset in the first round of the Abierto Zapopan, a WTA 125K Series event, by […]
- Singh adds Roach as trainer ahead of April bout Super middleweight Vijender Singh, a three-time Olympian from India, has moved his training base to Southern California to work with Hall of Fame trainer Freddie Roach as he prepares for […]
- Gilberto Ramirez switches trainers as he moves to light heavyweight Super middleweight world titleholder Gilberto "Zurdo" Ramirez, who is moving up to the light heavyweight division, announced on Monday that he will head into his new weight class with a […]
- Vasiliy Lomachenko to face Anthony Crolla on April 12 in Los Angeles Pound-for-pound king Vasiliy Lomachenko will defend his unified lightweight world title against mandatory challenger Anthony Crolla on April 12 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles after […]
- 2019 FIA World Rally Championship Rally Mexico – Preview
For round three of the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship, the competitors travel to Rally Mexico (March 7-10) where high temperatures and high altitude provide […]
- Masahiro Tanaka to Start on Yankees’ Opening Day SARASOTA, Fla. — The Yankees will start pitcher Masahiro Tanaka on opening day in place of the injured Luis Severino, Manager Aaron Boone announced Saturday.The selection of Tanaka was […]
- Scott McCarron (64) co-leads PGA Tour Champions’ Hoag Classic
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. — Scott McCarron closed with a birdie in windy conditions for a 7-under 64 and a share of the first-round lead with Fran Quinn on Friday […]
- Kidambi Srikanth, Saina Nehwal exit All England Open after losses against Tai Tzu Ying and Kento Momota 10:25 PM ETESPN staffIndia's campaign ended at the All England Open after Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth lost their respective quarterfinal matches to current World No. 1s Tai Tzu Ying […]
- Johnson-Thompson and Muir lead gold rush for hosts on first day of European Indoor Championships| News A brilliant brace of gold medals from Katarina Johnson-Thompson and Laura Muir made it a memorable opening night for the hosts at the European Indoor Championships in Glasgow on Friday […]