Dutch endurance star Sifan Hassan last year revealed her outstanding versatility by setting European records for the 5000m and half marathon as well as winning continental gold over the shorter distance. Here the 25-year-old Ethiopian-born athlete takes the 12-year-old version of herself to task.
To question a little less
Ethiopian children are not encouraged to ask why, it is just expected that when asked they will do something. However, I repeatedly asked ‘why?’ because that is who I am. It is my personality. Of course, to question is good and it is perfectly normal in the Dutch or English culture to do so but in Ethiopia this was not the case. I am a very open character, so I would often question why I had to do something but as soon as I said something, people thought I was crazy. I quickly became ashamed and shy and I felt bad. At the time I was made to feel bad about this so maybe I would tell my 12-year-old self to question things a little less!
Make better decisions
I was completely fearless as a child but I sometimes made some bad choices that I regret. I was not a fan of mathematics, so one day I decided not to go to class and instead went hiking. I think I got a little carried away as I must have walked for 20km. I went so far that I could no longer see any other houses. It was then I realised I had missed not only the mathematics lesson but a whole day at school – including my favourite sports lesson. I then had to walk all the way back, arriving home in the dark. My mother was not very happy, so looking back I’d like to tell my 12-year-old self to not worry about it and attend that mathematics class!
Be less stubborn
I am sometimes a little too direct and I can be very stubborn. I was a particularly stubborn child. I loved sports class, where I always got 100 out of 100, but I did not like art class. I could not see the point in it. I used to question the teacher asking her ‘why am I doing this? Give me the reason?’ I used to say, ‘I don’t like it, I’m not going to do art when I’m older.’ Looking back, I should have just kept quiet, been more relaxed and less stubborn about it.
Steve Landells for the IAAF
More from my site
- ISSF President held important meetings in Lausanne The President discussed important matters related to the Shooting Sport development within the Olympic movement.
The ISSF President Vladimir Lisin held several meetings in Lausanne, […]
- Hornets, Never Trailing, Avenge Overtime Loss CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Kemba Walker scored 29 points and made seven 3-pointers, Tony Parker had 17 of his 19 points in the fourth quarter, and the Charlotte Hornets avenged a double-overtime […]
- FIFA eWorld Cup 2019™ – News
Events & champions in December:
FUT Champions Cup Bucharest - winner: 'F2Tekkz'
PGL FIFA 19 Cup - winner: 'F2Tekkz'
FUT Champions Cup London - winner: […]
- David Wright Joins Mets’ Front Office The Mets have sat out the protracted, high-profile negotiations for Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, the 26-year-old superstars whose free agency has dominated baseball’s winter headlines. […]
- Aspirants on the starting blocks for expanded Asian Cup
AFC Asian Cup takes place in UAE throughout January
World’s second-oldest continental tournament expanded to 24 nations
Strong field of key contenders chase […]
- Serena Williams named AP Female Athlete of the Year Serena Williams reached back-to-back Grand Slam finals at Wimbledon and the US Open this year, but it was her resilience in the face of adversity that has earned her the title of the […]
- We definitely don’t support inappropriate comments – Kohli Virat Kohli has said it has been made clear to Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul that their controversial comments made on an Indian TV show, which has left them facing a suspension, are not […]
- Bradley Beal and Thomas Bryant Star in Wizards’ 3-OT Win Bradley Beal and Kelly Oubre Jr. have matched up often in practice, and Oubre thought he knew what to expect in their reunion.Just one of a few surprises on a wild Saturday night.Beal had […]
- Amir wins the inaugural Qatar 6Red World Cup 2019
Amir Sarkhosh of Iran won the title when he fought off a spirited performance from Thanawat Tirapongpaiboon of Thailand to triumph 7-6 in the final inaugural Qatar 6Red […]
- Historic Tournament in China to conclude 2019 Go Bowling! PBA Tour Season – bowlingdigital.com The Professional Bowlers Association will conduct its first event ever in China when the inaugural PBA China Tiger Cup is held Nov. 8-11 at the 18-lane Suzhou Tiger Bowling Center in […]