WTA Legend and founder Billie Jean King is among the most influential people of the 20th century according to the BBC.
In a new series called “Icons,” set to debut in the new year on Jan. 8, the lives of 28 influential people in the modern age will be explored.
The list, released earlier this month, consists of notable artists, writers, activists, explorers, scientists, leaders and entertainers, and King is among names including Marie Curie, Albert Einstein, Jane Goodall, Marilyn Monroe and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Related: Billie Jean King honored for lifetime achievement by BBC
Joining King in the sports stars category are Brazilian soccer legend Pelé, boxer Muhammad Ali, and Welsh Paralympic wheelerchair racer Tanni Grey-Thompson, who won over two dozen medals for Great Britain in Paralympic and World Championship competition, which included a dozen Paralympic golds.
More from my site
- Halep, Kerber, Osaka among Laureus nominees Serena Williams is a four-time winner and five-time nominee for the World Sportswoman of the Year award, having won it last year and in two of the past three years.Jennifer Capriati and […]
- Siddle’s miraculous comeback lands him on the doorstep of World Cup Last October, Peter Siddle played his first Test in two years. But that's nothing. The same month he was added to Australia's T20I squad, a format he has played just twice for his country, […]
- Jazz Janewattananond wins in Singapore, among four who qualify for The Open
SINGAPORE – Jazz Janewattananond shot a final-round 65 on Sunday to win the Singapore Open and qualify for this year's Open Championship.
The Thai player […]
- India bowl; Vijay Shankar handed debut among three changes India chose to bowl v AustraliaIndia have made three changes for the series decider against Australia at the MCG including handing a debut to allrounder Vijay Shankar. Kuldeep Yadav has […]
- Amla gets hundred, van der Dussen 93 as South Africa post 266 Innings South Africa 266 for 2 (Amla 108*, van der Dussen 93) On a slow surface more like the subcontinent than any of its South African counterparts, South Africa showcased impressive […]
- Hosts UAE share spoils with Bahrain in opener
AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019 officially underway
Hosts share point with Bahrain in opening match
Khalil penalty cancels Al Rohaimi's header
Hosts UAE and Bahrain opened the […]
- New Oakland Raiders GM Mike Mayock timing right join Mark Davis, Jon Gruden ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Calling it "the formal unification of something that has been going on for a really long time," Mike Mayock said the timing was finally right, as the longtime NFL […]
- Ronald Ellis to face Deandre Ware in 10-round main event Super middleweights Ronald Ellis and Deandre Ware will square off in the 10-round main event of a Feb. 1 tripleheader on Showtime's "ShoBox: The New Generation," the network announced on […]
- Steely Sabalenka surges into Australian Open second round MELBOURNE, Australia - Aryna Sabalenka ended a breakthrough 2018 season as one to watch, and lived up to the hype on Monday at the Australian Open, sailing past Anna Kalinskaya, 6-1, 6-4 […]
- UCF, UF and FSU coaches grateful they had more time to prep for early signing period
The clock was ticking when Josh Heupel hit the recruiting trail in December 2017.As the newly-minted UCF football coach, Heupel was forced to hit the ground […]