NEW YORK — The NHL has suspended Boston Bruins forward David Backes three games without pay for an illegal hit to the head of New Jersey Devils forward Blake Coleman.
The league considered Backes a repeat offender.
Based on his salary, he will lose almost $220,000. The discipline also means Backes will miss Tuesday’s Winter Classic against Chicago at Notre Dame Stadium.
The incident occurred early in the third period Thursday night, when Coleman was clearing a rebound from the New Jersey zone. Backes delivered a shoulder to his head and knocked him to the ice.
The Bruins forward was given a minor penalty.
New Jersey won 5-2.
More from my site
- Sharks’ Erik Karlsson suspended 2 games for illegal check SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose Sharks defenseman Erik Karlsson was suspended two games without pay by the NHL on Sunday for an illegal check to the head of Los Angeles Kings forward Austin […]
- Erik Compton leads as play suspended at Web.com Tour’s Abaco Classic
Erik Compton leads after two days of the Web.com Tour’s Bahamas Great Abaco Classic, with second-round play suspended because of darkness.
Compton wrapped up […]
- India bowl; Vijay Shankar handed debut among three changes India chose to bowl v AustraliaIndia have made three changes for the series decider against Australia at the MCG including handing a debut to allrounder Vijay Shankar. Kuldeep Yadav has […]
- Owner David Tepper says Carolina Panthers keeping ‘options open’ in light of QB Cam Newton’s shoulder injury CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers are keeping all options open concerning the sore right shoulder of quarterback Cam Newton, including the possibility of not having the 2015 NFL MVP […]
- Boston Red Sox to visit White House February 15 The World Series champion Boston Red Sox are scheduled to visit the White House on Feb. 15, team president Sam Kennedy told the Boston Globe.With no one to cook a feast because of the […]
- David Wright Joins Mets’ Front Office The Mets have sat out the protracted, high-profile negotiations for Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, the 26-year-old superstars whose free agency has dominated baseball’s winter headlines. […]
- Phillies Sign David Robertson, Adding to Off-Season Spending David Robertson made his first major league appearance on June 29, 2008, the earliest Yankees debut of anyone on last year’s team. He went on to pitch in 500 more regular-season games for […]
- David Robertson reaches deal with Philadelphia Phillies 7:29 PM ETJeff PassanESPN CloseESPN MLB insiderAuthor of "The Arm: Inside the Billion-Dollar Mystery of the Most Valuable Commodity in Sports"Free-agent reliever David Robertson has signed […]
- Rudy Gay of San Antonio Spurs out vs. Boston Celtics with injured wrist SAN ANTONIO -- With the schedule intensifying, Spurs forward Rudy Gay will not play Monday and could miss additional time due to a sprained left wrist, coach Gregg Popovich said.Popovich […]
- Daniel Ricciardo says F1 driver market games wore a little thin this year Daniel Ricciardo says he found it difficult and frustrating to work out which teams had a genuine interest in signing him while he weighed his options in the driver market this year.In […]