OTTAWA, Ontario — Johnny Manziel eliminated the interceptions but couldn’t generate enough offense for the Montreal Alouettes in a 24-17 loss to the Ottawa Redblacks on Saturday night.
After throwing four first-half interceptions last week in his Montreal debut, Manziel was 16-of-26 for 168 yards without an interception. He also ran three times for 36 yards, with his fumble at the goal line recovered for a third-quarter touchdown by center Kristian Matte.
Ottawa broke a tie with 15 seconds left on William Powell’s 10-yard touchdown run.
Montreal is 1-7 this season and has won just once in 19 games going back a year.
The Alouettes acquired Manziel from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats three weeks ago. The 2012 Heisman Trophy winner at Texas A&M, played in two exhibition games for Hamilton, but couldn’t get on the field behind starter Jeremiah Masoli in the regular season. Montreal’s 50-11 home loss to Hamilton last week was his first regular-season action since December 2015 with the NFL’s Cleveland Browns.
Trevor Harris was 44-of-54 for 487 yards and a touchdown for the East-leading Redblacks (5-3). He threw a second-quarter interception Chris Ackie returned for a touchdown.
Powell had 17 carries for 104 yards and caught two passes for 21 yards.
More from my site
- Stephens, Halep set for Roland Garros final rematch in Montreal "Once I get on a good run at a tournament, I'm pretty consistent, pretty solid," she said after the 6-3, 6-3 win. "I just try to keep playing, keep competing, fight hard. Once you get to […]
- As it happened: Kvitova stops Serena in Cincy second round
Relive all the action from the WTA Insider Live Blog as Petra Kvitova defeated Serena […]
- Los Angeles Angels start Mike Trout, already on DL, leaves club for family matter Los Angeles Angels star Mike Trout is away from the club for a family matter and might not be available Thursday, when he is scheduled to come off the disabled list, the team […]
- Alabama’s Kristen Gillman wins second U.S. Women’s Am title KINGSTON SPRINGS, Tenn. – Kristen Gillman won the U.S. Women's Amateur for the second time Sunday, beating Alabama teammate Jiwon Jeon, 7 and 6, in the 36-hole final at The Golf Club of […]
- Tiger Woods always hated coming in second but it wasn’t all that bad at this year’s PGA Championship where he finished behind Brooks Koepka ST. LOUIS -- Even without the victory, Tiger Woods delivered the victory fist pump on the 72nd hole. It was a hard right too, a punch packed with the kind of mean intentions thrown by an […]
- Barty and Schuurs take home Montreal doubles title MONTREAL, Canada -- The 2018 Rogers Cup came to a close on Sunday with No.8 seeds Ashleigh Barty of Australia and Demi Schuurs of the Netherlands coming from behind to post a 4-6, 6-3, […]
- NBA season start date: When does the 2018/19 campaign begin? Who plays on opening night? | Other | Sport The NBA Finals ended over two months ago with fans now hotly anticipating the start of the new season.Several teams have made major changes to their roster in an attempt to build on their […]
- Cleveland Browns still plan Tyrod Taylor start over Baker Mayfield BEREA, Ohio -- Baker Mayfield's impressive preseason NFL debut hasn't altered Cleveland's quarterback rotation.Here are the most crushing injuries of training camp and preseason so far, […]
- Halep survives Stephens in grueling battle to win Montreal Halep came out swinging in the decider, using stellar defense to chase down everything Stephens threw at her, and breaking to start the third set. But Stephens rebounded to break back for […]
- Denver Nuggets rookie Michael Porter Jr. says he’s pain free after second back surgery TARRYTOWN, N.Y. -- Denver Nuggets rookie Michael Porter Jr. said he's pain free after a second surgery on his back, and the 14th overall pick in the 2018 draft is hoping to be on the court […]