Second-year Juniors Meichi Narasaki (JPN) and Hannah Slaney (GBR) rose to the top of the first Bouldering podium in Moscow at their last IFSC Youth World Championships.
A dynamic start and physical moves greeted the six female finalists on the first problem. Combined world champion and Youth Olympic Games Buenos Aires 2018 (YOG) qualified athlete Elena Krasovskaia began with a flash in front of her home crowd, matched by Urska Repusic of Slovenia. Precision was required to conserve energy on the tiny screw-ons of F2, and Slaney flashed to take the lead. YOG qualified athletes Vita Lukan (SLO) and Mao Nakamura (JPN) also topped the second problem. All five athletes kept the friction across volumes and slopers and a tricky swing for the zone point on F3, leaving the final problem to decide the podium. Repusic found a static solution to maintain her balance through the challenging traverse of F4 for 2nd place, and Slaney scored the zone point to become the first Bouldering youth world champion of Great Britain. Lukan joined teammate Repusic on the podium, edging Nakamura by completing her three tops in less attempts.
Kai Harada of Japan started strong among male finalists, hanging by one hand to secure the opening dyno and continuing onward for the sole top of M1. Narasaki and Yannick Flohé (GER) rebounded with tops of their own on M2, solving the technical rollover to do so. Every athlete topped M3, leaving the final moments to again decide the Bouldering winners. Narasaki flashed the powerful fourth problem to exchange his silver medal last year for gold, and Flohé earned Germany’s first medal in Moscow with a top of his own. Harada scored the zone point for 3rd place in a dramatic last effort, and Matteo Manzoni (ITA) topped M4 but just missed the podium.
The full results, replay and highlights can be found on the Moscow event page, and click here for the updated medal table.
More from my site
- Youth Stars Aim for World Titles 699 youth athletes from 5 continents and 43 countries take the spotlight at the IFSC Youth World Championships on August 9th-16th in Moscow, Russia. The young Sport Climbing stars will […]
- YOG Qualified Athletes Soar in Moscow Youth Olympic Games Buenos Aires 2018 (YOG) qualified athletes Sam Avezou of France and Italian Laura Rogora soared to 1st place on the last problems of Youth A Bouldering finals in […]
- #UnitedBy the Flame: the lighting of the Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic Games The tour of the torch will officially kick off on August 5th, when the sacred flame will land in La Plata (ARG). Many Argentinian cities will be touched by the tour, which is going to […]
- Kalucka, Nagaev First to Gold in Moscow Natalia Kalucka of Poland and Russia’s own Almaz Nagaev raced to the first gold medals of the 2018 IFSC Youth World Championships in Moscow today.
N. Kalucka capitalized on an early […]
- Teams confirmed for Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic Games
Teams confirmed for Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic Games
- Watch NASCAR at Michigan: Times, TV schedule, qualifying info, live stream for the Consumers Energy 400
One week after , the NASCAR Cup Series heads to Michigan International Speedway. Elliott will hope to go […]
- Coyotes sign forward Christian Dvorak to six-year extension After a career-high 37 points last season, forward Christian Dvorak was rewarded by the Arizona Coyotes with a six-year extension.The 22-year-old's deal carries an annual average value of […]
- Halep survives Stephens in grueling battle to win Montreal Halep came out swinging in the decider, using stellar defense to chase down everything Stephens threw at her, and breaking to start the third set. But Stephens rebounded to break back for […]
- Buffalo Bills QBs AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman banged up late in practice PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills quarterbacks AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman both appeared to be banged up late in Sunday's practice.McCarron was seen limping after a play during an […]
- Tour de France 2018 – Geraint Thomas to take lead into final stage, confirms overall win Geraint Thomas has effectively won the Tour de France after finishing within two minutes of his closest competitor, Tom Dumoulin, in Saturday's individual time trial.Thomas will take a […]