Haram Jeon and Jimin Jeong became the first Speed youth world champions for Korea on day two of the 2018 IFSC Youth World Championships. Italy and the United States also won two medals in Youth B Speed finals to improve their odds in the medal race in Moscow.
Anna Calanca of Italy bested Kiara Pellicane-Hart in the semi-final with the fastest time among Youth B female athletes (8.67 seconds), securing the first medal for Italy in Moscow. A small slip in the final race was all Jeong needed to surpass Calanca and take the first title for Korea in Speed climbing at the IFSC Youth World Championships. Pellicane-Hart gained the lead in the small final, but a late fall handed the Bronze medal to American teammate Emma Hunt, who added a bronze medal to the team’s tally.
Jeon soared in the final race of Speed finals for male Youth B athletes. He was the only competitor to climb the 15-metre Speed wall in under 7 seconds (6.95 seconds), giving Korea the provisional lead in the medal table and its second gold medal by beating Italian Andrea Zappini.
Zappini was quick all day, ousting 2017 bronze medalist Evgeny Kuzin in the quarterfinal and making it two silver medals for Italy. Maksim Ryzhov, the sole Russian athlete in the Youth B medal races, grabbed the lead early in the small final but slipped towards the top, allowing enough time for Ellis Ernsberger to claim the second bronze medal for the United States today and third medal in Moscow.
The full results, replay and highlights can be found on the Moscow event page, and click here for the updated medal table.
More from my site
- Korea, Italy claim first Gold at World Championships in China Share Tweet Share Share Reddit Korea’s Junghwan Kim and Italy’s Mara Navarria have taken gold in the men’s saber and women’s epee events on day four of the ongoing World Championships in […]
- Mykhailo Romanchuk Rebounds for 800 Free Gold Medal
Ukraine’s Mykhailo Romanchuk won gold in the 400 free to open his European Championships but was beaten by German Florian Wellbrock in the 1500. Romanchuk made his way back to the […]
- USA takes Women’s Team Epee, Korea wins Men’s Team Sabre at World Championships in China Share Tweet Share Share Reddit USA and Korea have taken the first of six team gold medals to be handed out at the ongoing world fencing championships in Wuxi, China.Coming from behind in […]
- Saina Nehwal extends dominance over Ratchanok Intanon to enter World Championship quarterfinals Three years ago, on the eve of her India Open final against Thailand's Ratchanok Intanon, Saina Nehwal could barely catch a wink. It wasn't nervousness about her opponent but excitement […]
- PV Sindhu beats Nozomi Okuhara to be assured of a medal at the 2018 Badminton World Championships It was 52 minutes shorter than their classic a year ago, but PV Sindhu and Nozomi Okuhara still put up quite a spectacle. Long rallies, endless retrieving and bottomless reserves of energy […]
- Kalucka, Nagaev First to Gold in Moscow Natalia Kalucka of Poland and Russia’s own Almaz Nagaev raced to the first gold medals of the 2018 IFSC Youth World Championships in Moscow today.
N. Kalucka capitalized on an early […]
- FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup France 2018 – News – Korea DPR edge Brazil to reach last eight
Korea DPR got goals at the end of each half to defeat Brazil 2-1 in Concarneau on Sunday and claim a spot in the quarter-finals at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup France 2018 as […]
- Vietnam Open 2018: Ajay Jayaram and Mithun Manjunath enter semifinals
Ajay Jayaram and Mithun Manjunath put in the hard yards to progress to the men’s singles semifinals with contrasting wins at the USD 75,000 Vietnam Open Super Tour 100 tournament here on […]
- Abhinav Bindra on historic Beijing Olympics gold medal, advice for young shooters and upcoming biopic Aug 11, 2018Sharda UgraSenior Editor Ten years ago to the day, Abhinav Bindra became India's first individual gold medallist at the Olympic Games in Beijing. Two Olympics since Beijing, […]
- Asian Games 2018: India medal chances in Badminton
For a country that has boasted of the likes of Prakash Padukone, Syed Modi and P. Gopichand, and, in more recent times, Saina Nehwal, P. V. Sindhu and Ashwini Ponnappa, it’s surprising […]