ATLANTA — Tiffany Hayes had 18 points and the Atlanta Dream held off a late rally to beat the Phoenix Mercury 76-70 on Sunday.
The Dream (9-9) opened the game on an 8-0 run and reached their largest lead at 62-39 on Hayes’ jumper with 4:28 left in the third quarter.
Leilani Mitchell’s 3-pointer with 47.3 seconds left closed the deficit to 73-68 for the Mercury (14-6). Elizabeth Williams made two free throws with 25.6 seconds left and Hayes split a pair with 19.4 seconds left to help the Dream hold on.
Renee Montgomery and Brittney Sykes added 13 points each, and Elizabeth Williams and Angel McCoughtry each scored 10 for Atlanta.
Diana Taurasi scored 19, Brittney Griner added 18 and Mitchell 10 for the Mercury. Sancho Lyttle missed the game with a knee injury.
More from my site
- Taurasi leads Mercury to 8th straight win
LAS VEGAS — Diana Taurasi scored 18 of her 28 in the first half and the Phoenix Mercury ran their winning streak to eight with a 92-80 victory over the Las Vegas Aces on Sunday […]
- Mercury hit 13 3s, advance in WNBA playoffs
TEMPE, Ariz. — DeWanna Bonner had 29 points and 11 rebounds and Diana Taurasi collected 26 points and 12 assists, helping the Phoenix Mercury beat the Dallas Wings 101-83 on […]
- Sky top short-handed Mercury before All-Star break
PHOENIX — Rookie Diamond DeShields tied a season best with 25 points, Courtney Vandersloot had 17 points and 11 assists and the Chicago Sky beat the short-handed Phoenix Mercury […]
- Taurasi, Mercury never trail in rout of Fever
PHOENIX — Diana Taurasi and Stephanie Talbot scored 14 points apiece to lead five Phoenix players in double figures and help the Mercury beat the Indiana Fever 94-74 on Friday […]
- Taurasi scores 21, Mercury win 6th straight
DALLAS — Diana Taurasi scored 21 points, Brittney Griner added 18 before fouling out late and the Phoenix Mercury won their sixth straight with a 75-72 victory over the Dallas […]
- Bonner, Taurasi lead Mercury over Sparks
PHOENIX — DeWanna Bonner had a season-high 31 points, Diana Taurasi had 20 points and a career-best 14 assists and the Phoenix Mercury beat the Los Angeles Sparks 86-78 on […]
- Bird’s big 4th quarter puts end to Mercury season
SEATTLE — Sue Bird was on the brink of seeing maybe her last good chance at getting to the WNBA Finals evaporate. She was playing with a broken nose, her team was playing from […]
- Seattle Storm, Sue Bird beat Mercury, reach WNBA Finals Throughout her professional basketball career, Phoenix Mercury guard Diana Taurasi had never lost in a winner-take-all elimination game.She had compiled a perfect, and unheard of, 13-0 […]
- Elena Delle Donne injured knee in playoff loss to Dream Washington forward Elena Delle Donne took a nasty fall late in the fourth quarter of the Mystics semifinal Game 2 game matchup against the Atlanta Dream on Tuesday night and had to be […]
- Todd Gurley of Los Angeles Rams says it’s ‘dream’ not to play in preseason 6:35 PM ETLindsey ThiryESPN Close Covered Rams for two years for Los Angeles Times
Previously covered the Falcons
Has covered the NBA and college football and basketballTHOUSAND OAKS, […]