Chris Froome will begin his 2019 season by riding in the Tour Colombia in February.
The four-time Tour de France winner announced he will compete in the race in the northern region of Antioquia after spending the last week training in the area.
The race takes place from Feb. 12-17 with former Vuelta a Espana winner Ajenadro Valverde likely to challenge Froome for the title.
Froome, 33, won the Giro D’Italia last May but finished third behind Team Sky teammate Geraint Thomas at the 2018 Tour de France.
In Colombia he has the chance to follow in the footsteps of another Team Sky rider Egan Bernal, who won the inaugural Tour Colombia in 2018.
Speaking in Spanish in a video released on his Twitter page Froome said:
“I’m very happy to confirm my participation in the Tour Colombia in February, where I will begin my 2019 season.”
“Thank you to the Colombian Cycling Federation for the invitation. I will see you soon!”
More from my site
- Tour-de-France 2019 route revealed Chris Froome bids equal Eddy Merckx five titles Chris Froome's bid to equal Eddy Merckx's five Tour de France titles will begin in Brussels next year after organisers announced the route for the three-week race Thursday.The 2019 edition […]
- ‘Lack of consistency is the new normal’ – Navratilova reflects on a fascinating WTA season Osaka is a star now, and she's only going to carry on getting bigger and bigger. But this year I have also seen the potential of some of the other young players coming up, women such as […]
- No. 4 Baylor women open season with 100-39 win over Nicholls WACO, Texas (AP) -- Fourth-ranked Baylor has all the makings of another standout team in coach Kim Mulkey's 19th season, and the uncertainty at point guard may already be settled.The Lady […]
- Knicks Get Their First Road Win of the Season Allonzo Trier scored 19 of his career-high 23 points during a second-half surge, fellow rookie Mitchell Robinson had his first double-double, and the Knicks beat Dallas, 118-106, Friday […]
- Froome coy about Giro defense as 2019 route revealed Britain's Chris Froome attends the presentation of the 102 edition of the "Giro d'Italia" Tour of Italy cycling race, in Milan, Italy, Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2018. (Matteo Bazzi/ANSA via […]
- Breakthrough season is just the beginning for Hobbs| News It all started with a chase, a terrified sprint from a snarling dog near her home in New Orleans.
Aleia Hobbs was eight years old at the time, scared senseless – still is – at the […]
- Relentless and Resilient Red Sox Cap a Record-Breaking Season LOS ANGELES — Steve Pearce joined the party in progress. The Boston Red Sox added him in a trade in June, a month before the nonwaiver trading deadline, just in time to face a Yankees […]
- Mawem Soars to Season Title, Skofic, Susanti Rahayu Rise to Season Podiums at Final Event Bassa Mawem soared to France’s 2nd Speed season title of 2018 at the last IFSC World Cup of the year in Xiamen, China, and Aries Susanti Rahayu (INA) rose to 2nd place on the season […]
- Lady Vols’ Davis ready for expanded role in sophomore season KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee forward Rennia Davis loves to cook and wants to run her own restaurant someday, but she only occasionally prepares meals for her Lady Vols […]
- Chris Algieri, out of ring since 2016, to fight on Nov. 30 card Former junior welterweight world titlist Chris Algieri, out of the ring since a fifth-round knockout loss to Errol Spence Jr. at welterweight in April 2016, is on the comeback […]