PHOENIX — Rookie Diamond DeShields tied a season best with 25 points, Courtney Vandersloot had 17 points and 11 assists and the Chicago Sky beat the short-handed Phoenix Mercury 101-87 on Wednesday in the final game before the All-Star break.
Chicago led by 16 points early in the second half but Phoenix went on an 11-2 run to pull to 61-59. Chicago opened the fourth quarter on a 7-2 run, capped by DeShields’ offensive rebound and layup, and led by double figures for the final four minutes.
Allie Quigley added 19 points, with five 3-pointers, for Chicago (9-17). Stefanie Dolson had 13 points for her sixth straight game in double figures.
Chicago shot 67.7 percent from the field (21 of 32) in the first half en route to a 56-43 lead. DeShields made all seven of her first-quarter field goals for 15 points.
DeWanna Bonner had 30 points and 13 rebounds for Phoenix (15-11), which has lost six of its last seven games. Phoenix was without Diana Taurasi, who did not play due to a suspension after reaching the WNBA’s technical foul limit of seven.
Phoenix center Brittney Griner picked up her fourth foul with 9:26 remaining in the third quarter. After a review, she was given a flagrant 2 for an elbow to Dolson and was ejected. Last month, Griner was ejected after striking Dolson with a left hand to the face.
More from my site
- Taurasi leads Mercury to 8th straight win
LAS VEGAS — Diana Taurasi scored 18 of her 28 in the first half and the Phoenix Mercury ran their winning streak to eight with a 92-80 victory over the Las Vegas Aces on Sunday […]
- Mercury hit 13 3s, advance in WNBA playoffs
TEMPE, Ariz. — DeWanna Bonner had 29 points and 11 rebounds and Diana Taurasi collected 26 points and 12 assists, helping the Phoenix Mercury beat the Dallas Wings 101-83 on […]
- Taurasi scores 21, Mercury win 6th straight
DALLAS — Diana Taurasi scored 21 points, Brittney Griner added 18 before fouling out late and the Phoenix Mercury won their sixth straight with a 75-72 victory over the Dallas […]
- Bonner, Taurasi lead Mercury over Sparks
PHOENIX — DeWanna Bonner had a season-high 31 points, Diana Taurasi had 20 points and a career-best 14 assists and the Phoenix Mercury beat the Los Angeles Sparks 86-78 on […]
- Taurasi, Mercury never trail in rout of Fever
PHOENIX — Diana Taurasi and Stephanie Talbot scored 14 points apiece to lead five Phoenix players in double figures and help the Mercury beat the Indiana Fever 94-74 on Friday […]
- Dream hold off late rally to beat Mercury
ATLANTA — Tiffany Hayes had 18 points and the Atlanta Dream held off a late rally to beat the Phoenix Mercury 76-70 on Sunday.
The Dream (9-9) opened the game on an 8-0 run and […]
- Diana Taurasi claps back (video) You come at the queen, you best not miss.Diana Taurasi scored 27 points to lead the Phoenix Mercury to a 96-86 win over the Connecticut Sun in the WNBA’s single-elimination second round […]
- Diana Taurasi and Brittney Griner Are the W.N.B.A.’s Iconic Duo. Don’t Wait. For Diana Taurasi, the success she and Brittney Griner have found in the 2018 W.N.B.A season has done nothing less than change her perspective on the arc of her remarkable career.“Maybe a […]
- Staying aggressive, keeping the match short crucial for PV Sindhu in World Championship semifinal against Akane Yamaguchi On a day when four of the five top seeds (men's and women's singles, men's and women's doubles) fell by the wayside, PV Sindhu lived up to her third seeding to reach the semi-finals of the […]
- Olney: Parts of baseball are disappearing before our very eyes – Buster Olney Blog The remodeled dugouts in Wrigley Field have shifted the sightlines for Cubs manager Joe Maddon as he goes about his work each day. In the old home dugout -- the sanctuary for generations […]