Florida voters on Tuesday approved an amendment that strips the state legislature of the power to expand gambling, including sports betting.
Amendment 3 says the only way casino gambling can be approved is through a statewide initiative placed on the ballot by citizen petition. Exceptions were made for casinos on Indian reservations.
Among those strongly backing the measure were The Walt Disney Co. and the Seminole Tribe of Indians, which owns casinos in the Fort Lauderdale and Tampa areas.
Opponents included some horse track and dog track operators. They accused Disney and the Seminoles of not wanting competition for tourist dollars. They said the decision on whether to allow casinos should be left to each county’s voters.
Other opponents of the amendment said it would “potentially close the door” on sports betting legalization in the state.
The Miami Dolphins sent out a tweet Monday highlighting their concerns over Amendment 3, claiming that if the legislation passes, it “would effectively block any chance for sports betting in Florida.” The Tampa Bay Buccaneers also lobbied against the amendment, as did online betting sites such as FanDuel and DraftKings.
The measure was placed on the ballot by petition.
Information from ESPN’s David Purdum and The Associated Press was used in this report.
More from my site
- With penalty, Rodney Childers gets head start on Miami car Last week, Rodney Childers sat out the first race of a two-race suspension that was handed down for an infraction at Texas. Instead of going to Phoenix and sitting in a suite to monitor […]
- First-time runner has dream come true CLOSE
USA TODAY Sports' Paul Myerberg breaks down how Lelisa Desisa and Mary Keitany emerged victorious in the New York City Marathon.
USA TODAY SportsMartin Rogers crosses the […]
- Leaderboard: What's happening at the Shriners Hospital for Children Open null
- LPGA’s CME Group Tour Championship to award $1.5 million to winner NAPLES, Fla. -- The Race to the CME Globe will be more frantic starting next year, and the winner of the LPGA Tour's season-ending tournament is going to get considerably richer.Tour and […]
- World Veteran Fencing Championships attract record number of fencers to Livorno, Italy. Share Tweet Share Share Reddit More than 800 fencers from 5 continents have descended on Italy’s Tuscany region for the 21st edition of the FIE’s World Veteran Fencing Championships.Held […]
- UFC’s White dismisses Khabib-Floyd boxing talk UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov might want to fight boxing legend Floyd Mayweather, but UFC president Dana White doesn't want to hear about it.White told ESPN on Friday that […]
- Krzysztof Glowacki ends Maksim Vlasov’s 12-fight winning streak Former cruiserweight world titlist Krzysztof Glowacki was overlooked for inclusion in the first season of the World Boxing Super Series eight-man tournament, but he was invited to […]
- Melvin Gordon of Los Angeles Chargers will play The Los Angeles Chargers will welcome back Melvin Gordon on Sunday after the star running back missed the team's previous game with a hamstring injury.ESPN's Adam Schefter, citing a […]
- Khaleel earns ICC reprimand for Samuels send-off Khaleel Ahmed's send-off of Marlon Samuels in the fourth ODI in Mumbai has earned the India left-arm quick an official warning and one demerit point.Having dismissed him in the 14th over […]
- With his own academy and a win over idol Lin Dan, Subhankar Dey ticks off one dream at a time The baroque city of Saarbrucken on the Western edge of Germany features a smattering of Indian players this week. Most of them trudging through the rough end of wins, points and rankings. […]