CINCINNATI — The Cincinnati Reds say pitcher Jairo Capellan was killed and two other minor leagues players were injured in a car accident Saturday morning in the Dominican Republic.
Dick Williams, the Reds’ president of baseball operations, confirmed Capellan’s death and said pitcher Raul Hernandez was in critical condition and outfielder Emilio Garcia was in stable condition. The club released no details about their injuries.
Capellan was 19, the same age as the two injured players.
“Jairo was a talented young pitcher with a bright future who was taken from us much too soon,” Reds Latin America field coordinator Joel Noboa told the Cincinnati Enquirer of the right-hander. “He will be missed by everyone who knew him — his teammates, coaches and our Dominican Academy staff.”
Reds owner Bob Castellini sent condolences to the families and friends of the players, who were part of the organization’s operations in the Dominican Republic.
“Our Dominican operations are an integral part of the Reds organization, and this tragedy affects us all,” Castellini said. “We will remain closely involved to help everyone through this difficult time.”
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
More from my site
- Kill or be killed Fury may be ungainly, not exactly the smoothest operator to ever lace on a pair of gloves, but he gets the job done…
- Tomorrow’s Top 25 Today: Kentucky to crash top 10 of new college football rankings
On Tuesday, the College Football Playoff Selection Committee will reveal its first set of rankings for the 2018 […]
- Capriati, Seles, Davenport y Clijsters volvieron a la sala de conferencias de prensa Clijsters también recordó con nostalgia sus sensaciones al disputar las WTA Finals. "Para mi fue una experiencia increíble jugar con las mejores jugadoras del mundo. Tenía en frente a […]
- WRC – Nine-time FIA World Rally Champions Loeb & Elena take dramatic victory
Rally de Espana - Sunday afternoon
With 14 FIA World Rally Championship titles between them, the final stage showdown between Sebastien […]
- WRC – Breaking News – Thrilling victory for Loeb & Elena
Rally de Espana - Sunday afternoon
Sebastien Loeb and Daniel Elena have taken a sensational victory in Rally de España, holding off Sebastien […]
- Wayne Rooney stuns football world with absurd free kick Wayne Rooney has sent fans into meltdown with this outrageous free kick.The England legend was in action for DC United in America’s MLS on Wednesday (local time) when he stepped up to a […]
- Kip Keino innocent but reputation has suffered, lawyer says AP
Published 4:07 a.m. ET Oct. 19, 2018 | Updated 4:16 p.m. ET Oct. 19, 2018Former sports cabinet secretary Hassan Wario, second left with cap, former sports officials Haron […]
- As it happened: Tai beats Saina again to clinch Denmark title Tai Tzu Ying beat Saina Nehwal 21-13, 13-21, 21-6 in the Denmark Open final to extend her winning run against the Indian.
- Shane Warne says Australia’s buzzwords ‘make you vomit’ Shane Warne was unimpressed by the new buzzwords and catch phrases in Australian cricket, saying it was "verbal diarrhoea" and that "it makes you vomit," as the administration and team […]
- Saina looks to break 10-match drought against Tai Six years after she won the Denmark Open in 2012, Saina Nehwal is back in the final of the same tournament after defeating Indonesia's Gregoria Mariska Tunjung, the reigning world junior […]