Voted by children of many Japanese elementary schools, two futuristic fox-like creatures with special talent were picked as the mascots for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, and presented during a ceremony in the Japanese capital on July 22nd.
733 days before the start of Tokyo 2020, the official mascots of the 32nd edition of the Olympic and Paralympic Games finally made their first public appearance during a ceremony held at the Tokyo Midtown Hibiya on July 22nd.
Voted between December of 2017 and February of 2018 by more than 75% of the elementary schools in Japan — and by a number of overseas Japanese schools — the mascots are named Miraitowa and Someity: two lovable characters with superpowers and abilities to teleport between the digital and the real world.
Miraitowa is the blue-checkered Olympic mascot that merges the Japanese words Mirai and Towa, which stand for future and eternity, respectively. On its head and body, Miraitowa has the same blue patterns as the emblem of the Tokyo 2020 Games, and it expresses the hope of humankind for a bright future stretching off forever.
Its pink-checkered Paralympic counterpart, instead, was named Someity, a word that resembles a popular Japanese cherry blossom variety called Someiyoshino. Also, its pronunciation echoes the English phrase so mighty. Someity embodies Paralympic athletes who demonstrate the superhuman power to overcome obstacles and redefine the boundaries of what is possible.
The Tokyo 2020 Olympics will be held from the 24th of July to the 9th of August, in 2020.
The competition will mark the second time that the Japanese capital city hosts an edition of the Summer Olympics. All the shooting sport events will take place at the Asaka Shooting Range.
More from my site
- Tokyo 2020 releases Olympic competition schedule by session With around 700 days to go to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, the competition schedule by session has been approved and released by the International Olympic Committee on July 18th.In 2020, […]
- Hockey celebrates 2 Years until Tokyo 2020 begins
Australia goalkeeper Rachael Lynch is one of many athletes looking forward to Tokyo 2020 Photo: FIH
- Road to Tokyo 2020 begins at 18th Asian Games
India will be looking for strong showing at Asian Games. Pic credit Getty Images/FIH
- Tokyo Olympic marathon starts and finishes at new stadium Share This Story!Let friends in your social network know what you are reading aboutTokyo Olympic marathon starts and finishes at new stadiumThe men's and women's marathon for Tokyo's […]
- TJ Doheny upsets Ryosuke Iwasa in Tokyo TJ Doheny, cheered on by a passionate group of Irish fans who made the trip to Tokyo, upset Ryosuke Iwasa to win a junior featherweight world title on Thursday at Korakuen Hall.Although […]
- USOC marketing chief Baird going to New York Public Radio AP
Published 3:30 p.m. ET Aug. 23, 2018 | Updated 5:34 p.m. ET Aug. 23, 2018FILE - In this Aug. 1, 2017, file photo, U.S. Olympic Committee chief marketing officer Lisa Baird […]
- LeBron James Opens Public School in Hometown Akron LeBron James the basketball player has left Ohio. But on Monday morning, the footprint of LeBron James, the philanthropist, got even bigger in his home state.The I Promise School, started […]
- Bangladesh pick Imrul Kayes and bat; Nazmul Islam makes ODI debut Toss: Bangladesh chose to bat v Afghanistanplay2:10The Match Day team look ahead to Afghanistan and Bangladesh's Super Four clash, with both sides fighting to stay alive in the Asia […]
- Giorgi reaches Tokyo semis as ailing Azarenka retires TOKYO, Japan -- World No.37 Camila Giorgi of Italy completed the Toray Pan Pacific Open semifinal lineup on Friday, after former World No.1 Victoria Azarenka of Belarus retired from their […]
- Khaleel Ahmed handed debut as Hong Kong opt to bowl against India Hong Kong opt to bowl against IndiaAmbati Rayudu raises his bat AFPHong Kong won the toss and chose to bowl first at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium on Tuesday. Captain Anshy Rath […]