Sushil Kumar lost his first bout in more than four years while competing at Tbilisi Grand Prix in Georgia even as his compatriots Bajrang Punia and Deepak Punia progressed to the quarterfinals.
Sushil lost 4-8 to Polish grappler Andrzej Piotr Sokalski in the 74 kg category, not the most ideal result in the build up to the Asian Games. The WFI had exempted Sushil from trials, held last month.
The 35-year-old was handed exemption, given his past results and form as he had won his third CWG gold in Gold Coast.
Before Wednesday’s defeat, Sushil had last lost a bout in May 2014 in Sassari (Italy) to Luca Lampis of France.
Sushil was re-admitted to the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) after a gap of two years last month.
In the 65kg freestyle, Bajrang defeated Ukraine’s Gor Ogannesyan to set up a quarterfinal clash with Iran’s Yones Aliakbar Emamichoghaei.
More from my site
- Sushil Kumar bows out of the Asian Games after losing in the first round Arms crossed tightly across his torso, Sushil Kumar slunk into his bucket seat. Sitting amongst the mortals in the spectator gallery at the Jakarta Convention centre, he watched the […]
- Asian Games veteran wrestler Sushil Kumar looks to set record straight "Are you nervous?"Sushil Kumar flicks the question away like a bead of sweat on his brow following his final training session ahead of the Asian Games."Should I be?" asks the 35-year-old […]
- Lakshay Sheoran, Deepak Kumar impress with elusive trap and 10m air rifle silver at Asian Games Aug 19, 2018ESPN staffLakshay Sheoran and Deepak Kumar won silver medals in the men's trap and 10m air rifle event respectively, at the Asian Games -- two rare shooting medals for India at […]
- Shooter Deepak Kumar wins silver at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta A few minutes into a conversation with Deepak Kumar, you feel it's a sage at the other end, perhaps sitting thousands of kilometers away at the foot of an ice-capped mountain. There's no […]
- Asian Games 2018 Shooting – We could have won gold Ravi Kumar after winning mixed bronze with Apurvi Chandela Shooters usually make for boring winners. Inscrutability follows them even after they've set down their rifles and sights and the rare, visible celebration in itself merits an instant […]
- Asian Games 2018 – Bajrang Punia wins India’s first gold, wins men’s 65kg wrestling final Shrines of Hanuman are a ubiquitous presence in wrestling akharas across India. Also known as Bajrang Bali -- for he's the patron of pehelwans everywhere -- the mud statues smeared with […]
- Sushil Nadkarni and Atul Rai agree to split term on USA Cricket board after election deadlock 1:35 AM ETPeter Della PennaCricket ClosePeter Della Penna is an American cricket journalist who also writes for ESPNcricinfo.com and DreamCricket.com. Since 2010, he has penned the USA […]
- World Championships final – PV Sindhu loses to Carolina Marin Aug 5, 2018ESPN staffCarolina Marin beat PV Sindhu 21-19, 21-10 in 45 minutes to win a record third world title, in Nanjing, China on Sunday.The match, a repeat of the 2016 Olympic final, […]
- Asian Games 2018 badminton live: Kidambi Srikanth crashes out, loses 21-23, 19-21 to Hong Kong’s Wong Wing Ki Vincent
Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth crashed out of the 2018 Asian Games after suffering a shocking loss to Hong Kong’s Wong Wing Ki Vincent in the men’s singles second round on Friday.The […]
- Stefecekova regains Trap world title after 8 years She won the final at the shoot-off. The Slovakian athlete beat China’s Wang Xiaojing and Italy’s Silvana Stanco. The top-4 finalists gained a quota spot for Tokyo 2020.
Beijing 2008 […]