FIA statement to the European Commission proposal to amend the Motor Insurance Directive (MID)
The European Commission published recently proposed amendments to the Motor Insurance Directive (2009/103/EC), aiming to strengthen EU rules on motor insurance, to better protect victims of motor vehicle accidents and improve the rights of insurance policyholders.
The FIA and the European National Sporting Authorities (ASNs) welcome the long-awaited publication of the European Commission’s proposal, which will lead to fruitful exchanges with the European Parliament and the Council of the EU in the coming months.
In October 2017, a common position paper was addressed to the European Commission by the FIA, supported by numerous European ASNs, whereby the European Commission was invited to take into account the unique characteristics of motor sport. It underlined that the extension of the scope of the reformed Motor Insurance Directive to motor sport could potentially be highly detrimental, due to the unintended economic impact on insurance policy premiums.
The modifications proposed by the European Commission unfortunately do not meet the FIA’s expectations. Although the FIA and the entire motor sport community share the European Commission’s objective to better protect the victims of motor vehicle accidents, this proposal could lead to motor sport events being dependent on the will of the insurance companies to cover them.
The FIA and the motor sport stakeholders very much look forward to continuing the exchange with the European Institutions, in order to reach a solution that would still enable millions of drivers across Europe to continue practicing their passion, with the best possible protection.
FIA Position Paper on the Motor Insurance Directive (October 2017)
“European Commission proposal to amend the motor insurance directive” (24 May 2018: Press release, FAQs, Text of the proposal, Impact assessment, Summary of the impact assessment)
More from my site
- Abhinav Bindra appointed in IOC Athletes’ Commission He joins Danka Bartekova, Vladimir Lisin, Joerg Brokamp and Alexander Ratner, the ISSF family members nominated in various IOC Commissions for 2018.
The International Olympic […]
- J.A. Happ Again Proves He’s More Than Just Insurance for the Yankees When the Yankees acquired J. A. Happ late last month, he was largely viewed as an insurance policy — a veteran who may not have been pitching well but would at least afford the Yankees an […]
- Detroit Motor City Mile to Join Swim Across America
Photo Courtesy: Detroit Motor City MileShannon Dunworth created the Detroit Motor City Mile in 1999 as an opportunity for swimmers in the Midwest to give back. Every year, proceeds […]
- Weekend schedule for Cup, Xfinity at Indianapolis Motor Speedway NASCAR returns to one of the most famous tracks in the world this weekend to compete at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.The Cup Series will hold its 25th annual Brickyard 400 on Sunday.Here’s […]
- Men’s lacrosse shot clock proposal altered to 80 seconds
Just over a month after officially recommending a 60-second shot clock for men’s college lacrosse, which included some “cautious pessimism”, that rule has been altered.
The NCAA Men’s […]
- F3 – Mick Schumacher scores his second FIA Formula 3 European Championship race win
F3 - Mick Schumacher scores his second FIA Formula 3 European Championship race win
2018 Race of Silverstone - Race 2 Report
- CIK -FIA – European Championship – Ampfing – Aron and Janker top Qualifying Practice
CIK -FIA - European Championship - Ampfing - Aron and Janker top Qualifying Practice
With 155 Drivers at Ampfing, the third […]
- CIK – European Championship – Ampfing – Aron and Janker top Qualifying Practice
With 155 Drivers at Ampfing, the third Competition of the CIK-FIA European Championship and the CIK-FIA European Junior Championship boasts a very interesting field. […]
- F3 – Maiden FIA Formula 3 European Championship race win for Enaam Ahmed
For Enaam Ahmed (Hitech Bullfrog GP), the trip to Budapest was worth the effort as the rookie driver celebrated his maiden FIA Formula 3 European Championship race win at the […]
- IAAF Athletes’ Commission letter to WADA Executive Committee| News The IAAF Athletes’ Commission has today sent a letter to the World Anti-Doping Agency’s executive committee for consideration at its meeting on September 20.
The letter […]