- Hienghene Sport secure maiden OFC Champions League title
- Amy Antoine Roine’s wondergoal seals 1-0 win against AS Magenta
- First New Caledonian team to win continental crown
Hienghene Sport won their first OFC Champions League crown thanks to a sensational second half strike by substitute Amy Antoine Roine – whose goal from inside his own half secured a 1-0 victory over AS Magenta.
The two sides from New Caledonia played out an entertaining and chance-laden spectacle at the Stade Numa-Daly in Nouméa. In the opening half, Magenta took control of the match with Hienghene launching a number of dangerous counter-attacks. A well-hit volley by Jean Christ Wajoka was the closest either side came in the first 45 minutes, as the two teams went into the break all square at 0-0.
It would take a moment of brilliance to break the deadlock.
Just after the hour mark, substitute Roine won the ball in his own half, close to the centre circle. Seeing Magenta goalkeeper Steeve Ixoee quite a distance off his line, he tried his luck and the ball arced perfectly over the stranded ‘keeper, bouncing once before settling in the net to put his side ahead.
Magenta pressed for a leveller, denied superbly by goalkeeper Rocky Nyikeine not long after going behind, but Hienghene held on. A late red card for Magenta’s Mickael Tiaou after an unseemly scuffle saw his side finish the game with ten men, as their opponents clung on to claim their historic victory.
More from my site
- Namibia claim Division 2 title with maiden ODI victory Namibia 226 for 7 (Birkenstock 61, Fayyaz 2-28) beat Oman 81 (Suraj 27, Frylinck 5-13, Smit 3-21) by 145 runsIn a tournament where home-field advantage has often played a huge role in […]
- Welcome to FIFA.com News – European quartet book tickets to Brazil 2019
France, Netherlands, Italy and Spain clinch spots at 2019 U-17 World Cup
Will be joined by one other side from U-17 European Championship
All four booked their […]
- Nashville host NASCAR? When Vanderbilt wins SEC football title CLOSE
Speedway Motorsports has struck a deal that paves the way for NASCAR's return Nashville and for weekly racing to remain at the venerable short track.
Michael Schwab, […]
- Vegas lowers Pels’ title odds from 300-1 to 25-1 The New Orleans Pelicans were the big NBA draft lottery winners on Tuesday night, and Las Vegas took notice.The Pelicans came into the evening tied for the worst 2019-20 NBA title odds at […]
- Stanford defeats USC, celebrates fourth title victory in six years [Video] Stanford grabbed its seventh NCAA Women's Water Polo Championship title in program history with a 9-8 victory over Pac-12 rival USC on Sunday. Makenzie Fischer was named the tournament's […]
- Welcome to FIFA.com News – Jubilant Haiti headline Concacaf quartet
Four Concacaf nations win through to 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup
Haiti and Canada qualify for Brazil 2019 with penalty shoot-out wins
USA and Mexico advance with […]
- Weekend road round-up: Seboka retains Dalian title| News Ethiopia’s Mulu Seboka successfully defended her title while compatriot Tsegaye Getachew won the men’s race at the ICBC Cup Dalian International Marathon, an IAAF Silver Label road race, […]
- Berchelt stops Vargas in 6th round to retain title 12:56 AM ETSteve KimESPN TUCSON, Ariz. -- Miguel Berchelt retained his WBC junior lightweight title at the Convention Center on Saturday night as he again defeated Francisco Vargas in six […]
- Vegas bullish on Knicks’ summer, ’20 title odds The New York Knicks are back in the championship mix heading into a summer that could shake up the NBA.The SuperBook at Westgate Las Vegas on Saturday opened the Knicks at 16-1 to win the […]
- WEC – Alonso, Nakajima and Buemi Edge Closer to WEC Title at Spa-Francorchamps
WEC - 2019 Total 6h of Spa-Francorchamps - Race
In a remarkable penultimate race of the 2018/19 FIA World Endurance Championship season Fernando […]