Arruabarrena found herself having to make another comeback on Thursday against Paolini, as the Italian got ahead to an early break and built up a 5-2 lead, but the former champion rallied to record a 7-6(4), 6-1 victory in an hour and 19 minutes.
“She actually started playing really well, hitting super hard and putting all of the balls in,” Arruabarrena said. “I just accepted that, and I was playing solid myself. In the end, I managed to turn it around and win again.”
The win improves on Arruabarrena’s stellar here here, now owning a 22-5 main draw win-loss record.
But despite Arruabarrena’s history, it was Paolini who started out the match firmly in control as the Spaniard struggled to get off of the ground. She got off to a strong start with an early break at 2-0, consolidating for a 3-0 lead. A couple of loose errors allowed Arruabarrena to strike back at 3-2, but Paolini reestablished her lead a game later and powered ahead to a 5-2 lead, looking ready to close in on the set.
More from my site
- Anisimova rallies past Lisicki in Bogota debut BOGOTÁ, Colombia - American teenager Amanda Anisimova scored her first win on the clay this spring courtesy of a 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Sabine Lisicki at the Claro Open Colsanitas.The No.6 […]
- Bogota 2019: Thursday’s Order of Play and Match Points MATCH POINTSSara Errani and Bibiane Schoofs will square off for their first meeting. 2012 French Open finalist Errani made the quarterfinals in her most recent showing at the Claro Open […]
- Ahn survives match points to overcome Ostapenko in Bogota shocker BOGOTÁ, Colombia -- Lucky loser Kristie Ahn of the United States pulled off a shocking upset in the first round of the Claro Open Colsanitas on Tuesday night, fending off two match points […]
- Who’s Playing Where: Osaka, Halep, Kvitova lead Top 20 into battle on clay The 2019 clay season has already begun, with the first three champions crowned on three different continents. Madison Keys took the biggest early title at the Volvo Car Open in Charleston, […]
- ‘It’s a huge deal’ – Anisimova revels in first WTA title after Bogota epic "I don’t think I’ve ever played so many three-set matches in one week, and in so many of them, I was down a set. That really helped my mental strength, and so I’m feeling really good […]
- Bogota 2019: Saturday’s Order of Play and Match Points MATCH POINTSThis will be the first meeting between Lara Arruabarrena and Astra Sharma. Sharma has made her first WTA singles quarterfinal and semifinal showings this week.Read more: Sharma […]
- ‘We are playing IPL, not club cricket,’ fumes Kohli after missed no-ball | Cricket
Virat Kohli drives to long-off © BCCI
Virat Kohli was left fuming after replays revealed that the last ball of RCB's chase […]
- Vondrousova moves past Maria into Miami quarterfinals MIAMI, FL, USA -- Czech teenager Marketa Vondrousova continues her stellar month in the United States, moving into the quarterfinals of the Miami Open after a 6-4, 6-3 victory over […]
- James Paxton of Yankees, Already Struggling, Will Face Crucial Test in Red Sox When James Paxton takes the mound at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, he will be at the center of one of baseball’s hottest rivalries. The crowd will be electric, the atmosphere charged if not […]
- Back in LA, late-arriving Puig homers off Kershaw LOS ANGELES -- Better late than never.While Yasiel Puig arrived at Dodger Stadium too late to receive his National League championship ring, he was just in time to hit a two-run homer off […]