ARCADIA, Calif. — Roadster defeated Game Winner by a half-length to win the $1 million Santa Anita Derby, giving trainer Bob Baffert a 1-2 finish and the possibility of three horses in the Kentucky Derby.
His other standout, Improbable, is set to run in the Arkansas Derby next weekend.
Ridden by Mike Smith, Roadster ran 1 1/8 miles in 1:51.28 on Saturday. The 3-year-old gray colt needed to finish first or second to earn enough qualifying points to make the 20-horse field for next month’s Kentucky Derby.
Roadster paid $8.20, $3 and $2.40 at 3-1 odds. Game Winner returned $2.40 and $2.10 as the 1-2 wagering favorite. The Baffert exacta was worth $7.
Instagrand paid $2.60 to show.
Nolo Conesto was fourth, followed by Synthesis and More Ice.
More from my site
- Racing resumes at Santa Anita after shutdown ARCADIA, Calif. -- Racing returned to Santa Anita without incident Friday after the track was closed nearly a month ago following the deaths of 22 horses that forced changes in […]
- Santa Anita to continue racing despite protests ARCADIA, Calif. -- Santa Anita will continue racing through the end of the current meet on June 23, despite objections from animal rights activists who urged the California Horse Racing […]
- Santa Anita sees 23rd horse fatality since Dec. 26 ARCADIA, Calif. -- A two-horse spill in the $100,000 San Simeon Stakes on Sunday at Santa Anita Park led to the 23rd equine fatality at the Southern California track in just over three […]
- Santa Anita plans to reopen for live racing Friday ARCADIA, Calif. -- Anticipating approval by the California Horse Racing Board, Santa Anita plans to reopen for live racing on Friday for the first time since it was shut down following the […]
- Belgian veteran Gilbert beats Politt to win Paris-Roubaix AP
Published 11:48 a.m. ET April 14, 2019
ROUBAIX, France (AP) — Veteran cyclist Philippe Gilbert beat German rider Nils Politt right at the end of Sunday's […]
- Shields beats up Hammer, wins undisputed title A few days before Claressa Shields met Christina Hammer for the undisputed women's middleweight world championship on Saturday, Shields made clear how the fight would go and what she […]
- Okuhara beats Sindhu in semis Apr 13, 2019ESPN staffIndia's PV Sindhu lost in straight games to Japan's Nozomi Okuhara in the semi-finals of the Singapore Open on Saturday.World No. 3 Okuhara started on a dominant […]
- Lasisi beats Blandon, Joyce stops Tiffney in Dubai 5:07 PM ETSteve KimESPN Junior bantamweight contender Aliu Bamidele Lasisi defeated Ricardo Blandon by unanimous decision in the main event of a Top Rank Boxing on ESPN card in Dubai, […]
- Viktor Axelsen beats Kidambi Srikanth in straight games to win second India Open title Mar 31, 2019ESPN staffKidambi Srikanth's woes against Viktor Axelsen continued as he suffered a 7-21, 20-22 loss in the final of the India Open in New Delhi.Here's how the action unfolded […]
- Zimmerman’s late winner hands LAFC win over Real Salt Lake in playoff rematch LOS ANGELES — Last November, Walker Zimmerman’s own goal sent Real Salt Lake to the Western Conference semifinals.Saturday night, Zimmerman’s goal sent Real Salt Lake home with a loss.The […]