- FIFA Women’s World Cup Trophy Tour visits Buenos Aires
- Argentinian capital is the fourth stop on 24 country tour
- 1978 and 1986 FIFA World Cup winners in attendance
The Argentine Football Association (AFA) welcomed the FIFA Women’s World Cup as the Trophy made its fourth stop on its 24 country tour in Buenos Aires on Saturday.
Having arrived from Santiago in Chile, the AFA hosted a press conference with President Claudio Tapia, FIFA Head of Women’s Football Competitions Sara Booth, and FIFA Legends Squad member Veronica Boquete, whose Origin Story was released this week, as they spoke in front of a room full of media to promote Argentina qualifying for its first Women’s World Cup in 12 years.
In addition, the AFA Sede Central – the federation’s headquarters – opened its doors to the public to have their photo taken with the Trophy.
President Tapia was in a positive mood following the women’s team’s qualification, and speaking at the Federation’s training centre this morning, he outlined his hope for the game to become professional in the future.
“We want to take women’s football where it should always have been,” he said. “For women’s football to become professional in Argentina, it will take some time. We need the clubs to be ready. We have to find the right people to help women’s football structures to grow.”
Amongst the guests at the morning’s event were two former Argentina World Cup winners – 1978 winning goalkeeper Ubaldo Matildo Fillol, and 1986 winning midfielder Carlos Daniel Tapia.
Both were in attendance to support the women’s team’s progress and appearance at this summer’s tournament in France. For Fillol, the growth of women’s football is something he thought he might never see when he was younger, but is glad that he has.
“The Trophy being here is important not only for women’s football, but for all football in Argentina,” he said. “The Federation is helping a lot for this to happen, and it must continue this way. It’s the right way.
“When I was a kid, I didn’t imagine women’s football was going to be this big, this important, and it’s fantastic. There was no information, nowhere to watch it, but that has changed. Now that it is easy to follow, I like it a lot.”
Argentina have been drawn alongside England, Japan and Scotland in their group this summer, and tickets are now on general sale.
The next stop on the global Trophy Tour will see the World Cup in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on Monday, where FIFA World Cup™ winner and FIFA Legend Gilberto Silva will be in attendance.
More from my site
- FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™ – News – FIFA Women’s World Cup™ Trophy Tour kicks off in Paris
Today the global FIFA Women's World Cup™ Trophy Tour kicked off in Paris, France, with FIFA Legends Kristine Lilly and Laura Georges sending the trophy off on its whirlwind world […]
- FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™ – News – Chile’s Endler leading from the back
Christiane Endler will anchor Chile in their first Women's World Cup appearance
The PSG goalkeeper will be in familiar territory at France 2019
"We are opening doors for new generations […]
- FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™ – News – 100 days to go!
The countdown has begun – France 2019 kicks off in 100 days’ time
The nine host cities celebrated and unveiled their tournament posters
Buy your tickets right […]
- FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™ – News – Banini: We’re used to battling, it’s made us strong
She’s the middle child who shares a passion for the game with her father. She’s the dressing-room prankster who likes to put on the music and orchestrate the […]
- FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™ – News – Aline: Brazil’s young players will shine in France
World Cup finalist of 2007 says young talent can shine
While Marta is “the best player in the world,” others can step up
The game has grown in Brazil over the past decade
South America […]
- FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™ – News – Official poster impresses the gallery
Official France 2019 poster unveiled
On display in gallery in central Paris
Public can view exhibition of ten competition posters for next two days
Following the presentation of the […]
- FIFA Women’s World Cup France 2019™ – News – Plummer: We want to do the Caribbean proud
21-year-old Konya Plummer will captain Jamaica at France 2019
The Reggae Girlz are competing in their first Women's World Cup
Plummer pilots a "hard-working" group ready to […]
- FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup Uruguay 2018 – News – TSG report: Uruguay 2018 points to bright future ahead
On and off the pitch, the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2018 was a new milestone for women’s football.
The competition was hosted in South America for the first time, with Uruguay […]
- Halep’s message for women: ‘Believe you can do anything in the world’ “It's very big day. For us, it's a big day,” Halep explained in her post-match press conference. “Everyone is celebrating, the women, and everyone is going out.“Actually, I ordered some […]
- World Team Trophy on Olympic Channel (11-12 March 2019)
The inaugural World Team Trophy (WTT) will take place in Roissy-en-France, near Paris, 11&12 March.
In their common quest for the Olympic […]