Goerges played phenomenal tennis for about a set and a half, pushing Zvonareva around the court and dictating play with her forehand. She had Zvonareva under pressure, creating three break points across two games and finally earning the break at 2-1. That break would prove to be decisive, despite posting less-than-stellar service numbers (33% of first serves in during first set).
But the wheels started coming off in the second set, where the German broke early once again and started with a 2-0 lead. Zvonareva rallied as the errors started to creep into Goerges’ game, and four unforced errors in a row from Goerges handed Zvonareva the break back at 3-3.
From there on Zvonerava’s confidence rose and she started to find her range, covering the court with ease and putting the pressure right back on Goerges, who surrendered a second break at 6-4 to send the match into a decider.
Goerges twice came back from a break down against Zvonareva in the tightly contested final set. Zvonareva started out with all the momentum, getting ahead 3-1 before Goerges broke straight back.
More from my site
- Ostapenko outlasts Mladenovic for first 2019 win in St. Petersburg The second set was a complete reversal for the Latvian, who struggled on serve as the former champion and 2018 finalist leveled the match without losing a game. Mladenovic has played some […]
- Indonesia Masters: P.V. Sindhu, Kidambi Srikanth reach quarterfinals
Indian trio of P V Sindhu, Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth eased into Indonesia Masters’ quarterfinal with straight-game victories over their respective opponents, here Thursday.Second […]
- WTA Fantasy Tennis: Mary Joe Fernandez makes St. Petersburg picks Petra Kvitova “Petra Kvitova, what an outstanding run she had in Australia – winning the title at Sydney, playing phenomenally well at the Australian Open. She goes into St Petersburg with […]
- Vekic detiene a Zvonareva para llegar a su primera final Premier en San Petersburgo Vekic estuvo concentrada desde el inicio contra Zvonareva, una ex No. 2 del mundo, en el Sibur Arena. Ella disfrutó de muchas oportunidades con Zvonareva luciendo temblorosa al principio, […]
- Fed Cup: Great Britain reach World Group II playoffs after Konta drama Russia also secured their place in the playoff - scheduled for April - by beating Sweden, rounding off an undefeated week in Poland thanks to dominant singles displays from Natalia […]
- FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019 – News – Senegal become Africa’s first to reach Poland 2019
Senegal have become the first African team to qualify for the FIFA U-20 World Cup Poland 2019. After the second matchday in Group B at the CAF U-20 Africa Cup of Nations Niger 2019, […]
- Renaciente Zvonareva vence a Kasatkina en QF rusa en San Petersburgo S T. PETERSBURG, Rusia - La ex No. 2 del mundo Vera Zvonareva sigue retrocediendo en el tiempo en San Petersburgo.La jugadora de 34 años, derrotó a la Kasatkina cabeza de serie No. 3 en […]
- Welcome to FIFA.com News – Qatar reach first-ever final with emphatic win
Qatar beat hosts UAE to book ticket to first-ever continental final
Almoez Ali equals single-tournament goals record (8)
Final: Japan v Qatar, 1 February in Abu Dhabi
Two goals in […]
- Barty stops Sakkari run to reach first Melbourne fourth round MELBOURNE, Australia - Local hope Ashleigh Barty is the first player to reach the fourth round at the Australian Open - and she’s done so for the first time in her career after edging […]
- Navratilova: Osaka está jugando mejor que cuando ganó a Serena MELBOURNE, Australia - Petra Kvitova será la favorita sentimental en la final del Abierto de Australia del sábado. Esta será la primera gran final para mi compatriota checa desde el ataque […]