WTA Legend and founder Billie Jean King is among the most influential people of the 20th century according to the BBC.
In a new series called “Icons,” set to debut in the new year on Jan. 8, the lives of 28 influential people in the modern age will be explored.
The list, released earlier this month, consists of notable artists, writers, activists, explorers, scientists, leaders and entertainers, and King is among names including Marie Curie, Albert Einstein, Jane Goodall, Marilyn Monroe and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Related: Billie Jean King honored for lifetime achievement by BBC
Joining King in the sports stars category are Brazilian soccer legend Pelé, boxer Muhammad Ali, and Welsh Paralympic wheelerchair racer Tanni Grey-Thompson, who won over two dozen medals for Great Britain in Paralympic and World Championship competition, which included a dozen Paralympic golds.
More from my site
- Siddle’s miraculous comeback lands him on the doorstep of World Cup Last October, Peter Siddle played his first Test in two years. But that's nothing. The same month he was added to Australia's T20I squad, a format he has played just twice for his country, […]
- Ketchup-loving Patrick Mahomes lands endorsement deal from Hunt’s KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who recently declared his love for ketchup on such foods as steak and macaroni and cheese, has an endorsement deal for the […]
- Amendments to FIH Rules of Hockey to come into force on 1 January
Copyright: FIH / Getty Images
Amendments to […]
- Daniel Hemric looking forward to “complete rejuvenation” at RCR Hemric, 27, has spent the last two seasons competing for RCR in the Xfinity Series but will take over the No. 8 Chevrolet in the Cup series beginning with the 2019 season opener at […]
- Demetrius Andrade to defend title against Artur Akavov at MSG Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn will kick off his 2019 slate of American-based cards for sports streaming service DAZN on Jan. 18 at the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New […]
- Danny van Poppel says Tour Down Under stage one was like ‘taking sausage rolls out of the oven’
After the finish of any stage, there is a tidal wave of response from riders and sports directors as teams react to their performance on the day.
Often riders voice their […]
- Mathews makes a statement with push-ups celebration In what was probably another dig at the decision to cut him from the ODI team in September, Angelo Mathews performed 10 push ups upon reaching an outstanding rearguard hundred in […]
- WRC – Summary of regulation changes for 2019
During the course of last year the World Motor Sport Council approved a number of changes to the Sporting Regulations for the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship. The main […]
- ‘World-class’ Yasir Shah gives Pakistan an advantage – Sarfraz Ahmed For all the things this away tour is for Pakistan, one thing it is not is timely. They take on, in South Africa, the opponents they have only beaten two times in 12 attempts on away soil, […]
- Marshall Kent wins 2018 PBA Clash in landmark FOX Sports telecast – bowlingdigital.com Four-time PBA Tour winner Marshall Kent of Yakima, Wash., outlasted seven other top money earners from the 2018 Go Bowling! PBA Tour season to win the PBA Clash, taking home the $25,000 […]