PHOENIX — Diana Taurasi and Stephanie Talbot scored 14 points apiece to lead five Phoenix players in double figures and help the Mercury beat the Indiana Fever 94-74 on Friday night.
Coach Sandy Brondello recorded her franchise-record 100th win with the Mercury.
DeWanna Bonner had 13 points and 10 rebounds, Brittney Griner added 12 and nine and Yvonne Turner scored 10 points for Phoenix (17-14). The Mercury, which won for just the second time since beating the Fever 101-82 on July 15, snapped a five-game home losing streak.
“You know this is a team that can come back out and bring a lot of energy and our focus was,” Mercury coach Sandy Brondello said. “You know sometimes we come out of the locker room you know and not playing as locked in as we should be, we get into a bit of a hole so it was a focus but the girls came out and they really executed the scout and all game really for the most part.”
Taurasi hit a tie-breaking 3-pointer to spark a 12-0 run that gave Phoenix a 20-8 lead. Victoria Vivians hit a 3-pointer to pull Indiana (5-25) within seven at the end of the first quarter, but Turner and Leilani Mitchell hit 3s 20 seconds apart to make it 28-15 with eight minutes left in the second and the Mercury led by double figures the rest of the way.
Kelsey Mitchell, the second overall selection in April’s draft, led the Fever with 20 points, including four 3-pointers. Tiffany Mitchell added a season-best 17 points and tied her career high with nine rebounds.
More from my site
- Bonner, Taurasi lead Mercury over Sparks
PHOENIX — DeWanna Bonner had a season-high 31 points, Diana Taurasi had 20 points and a career-best 14 assists and the Phoenix Mercury beat the Los Angeles Sparks 86-78 on […]
- Sky top short-handed Mercury before All-Star break
PHOENIX — Rookie Diamond DeShields tied a season best with 25 points, Courtney Vandersloot had 17 points and 11 assists and the Chicago Sky beat the short-handed Phoenix Mercury […]
- Diana Taurasi and Brittney Griner Are the W.N.B.A.’s Iconic Duo. Don’t Wait. For Diana Taurasi, the success she and Brittney Griner have found in the 2018 W.N.B.A season has done nothing less than change her perspective on the arc of her remarkable career.“Maybe a […]
- Hawks, Trail Blazers lead creative schedule release The 2018-19 NBA schedule was released in full on Friday. Teams took the opportunity presented by the big reveal to showcase their 82 games and made it a special viewing experience.Some […]
- Never-give-up attitude takes PV Sindhu to second World Championship final Aug 4, 2018Jonathan SelvarajESPN If PV Sindhu ever needed a sign that 2018 was going to be her year at the World Championships, she definitely got one on Saturday, during her 21-16, 24-22 […]
- Registration opens for Buenos Aires 2018
Fans can now apply for passes to the Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires
- Mark Cavendish pulls out of Arctic Race of Norway Mark Cavendish has pulled out of the Arctic Race of Norway as he continues to recover from injury.The Isle of Man rider had been expected to compete for Team Dimension Data after he was […]
- Finch back in style to keep Surrey in the hunt Surrey 136 for 3 (Finch 67*, Maddinson 41) beat Hampshire 133 for 7 (Northeast 37) by seven wicketsScorecardSurrey can still qualify for the quarter-finals of the Vitality Blast after […]
- Las Vegas Aces officially lose cancelled game Last Friday, the Las Vegas Aces made the tough decision to cancel their game versus the Washington Mystics after a series of unfortunate events led to over 24 hours of sleepless travel, […]
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ – News – World Cup record-holder El Hadary says farewell
Less than two months after setting a FIFA World Cup™ record, Egypt’s veteran goalkeeper Essam El Hadary has announced his retirement from international football.
At 45, El Hadary […]