MONTREAL, Canada – Sloane Stephens and Elina Svitolina meet for the third time in their careers in today’s Rogers Cup semifinal – but don’t ask either of them about their previous clashes.
“I do not remember either one of those matches,” the American told reporters, while the Ukrainian said something similar: “I don’t actually remember when we played!”
Both matches were in 2014. Svitolina enjoyed a straight-sets win in Charleston, 6-4, 6-4, while Stephens won their Round of 32 clash at the Australian Open, 7-5, 6-4.
More from my site
- Stephens speeds into Montreal third round after Abanda win MONTREAL, Canada - No.3 seed Sloane Stephens wasted little time moving into third round at the Coupe Rogers, dropping just two games against Canadian wildcard Françoise Abanda, 6-0, […]
- Stephens ends Svitolina’s title defense in Montreal She kept Svitolina out of her comfort zone going into the second, and was rewarded with an early break to lead 3-1. Stephens survived a marathon, 13-minute game to hold in the next game, […]
- Stephens frena la defensa del título de Svitolina en Montréal Mantuvo a Svitolina fuera de su zona de confort al entrar en el segundo y fue recompensada con un break temprano para liderar 3-1. Stephens sobrevivió a un maratón de 13 minutos en el […]
- LIVE: Stephens, Halep face off for the 2018 Coupe Rogers crown
Follow along with all the action from the WTA Live Blog as World No.1 Simona Halep and Sloane […]
- Svitolina slips past Mertens to reach Montreal semifinals Svitolina completes the semifinal lineup at the Rogers Cup, and the defending champion will face No.3 seed Sloane Stephens in the final four. Reigning US Open champion Stephens […]
- Stephens supera a Sevastova para alcanzar las SF en Montréal MONTRÉAL, Canadá - La actual campeona del US Open Sloane Stephens competirá en las semifinales de la Coupe Rogers por segundo año consecutivo después de haber despachado a Anastasija […]
- ‘She makes me play better and better’ – Halep lauds rivalry with Stephens "At 5-4, I said that I have to serve bigger," Halep said. "During the match, it was a little bit softer. I had a little bit of pain, and it was tough to hit constant. In the last game I […]
- Murray on Stephens: ‘She is very honest and realistic’ Nonetheless, Stephens' relaxed reactions to her results are who she is - and to Murray, they are fundamental to keeping her on an even keel. "One of the reasons why Sloane has been so […]
- Montreal 2018: Svitolina wishes Buzarnescu a speedy recovery from ankle injury MONTREAL, Canada - Defending Rogers Cup champion Elina Svitolina sent her best wishes to stricken opponent Mihaela Buzarnescu, who suffered an ankle injury during their Round of 32 […]
- Halep survives Stephens in grueling battle to win Montreal Halep came out swinging in the decider, using stellar defense to chase down everything Stephens threw at her, and breaking to start the third set. But Stephens rebounded to break back for […]