Chase Elliott started last week’s race at Kansas with a fifth – 10th-place car. They adjusted on it, got track position when Kevin Harvick was hit with a pit road penalty and then outraced the field at the end.
“They made their car so much better,” Dale Earnhardt Jr. said on this week’s edition of the Dale Jr. Download. “That’s hard to do in itself … making your car better as the race goes on. What is even more impressive is that they were able to make their car better and put it in the lead. … I know they didn’t pass Harvick; he had his problems. But getting that track position on guys like Kyle Busch … Joey Logano, people that were dominating during the day was the most impressive thing for me.”
Earnhardt’s co-host Mike Davis disagrees.
“In none (of his wins) did Chase actually dominate or lead the most laps,” Davis said. “He did at Watkins Glen, but you could even make the argument that Kyle Busch … that was sort of his race until they didn’t pick up enough fuel in that pit stop.”
According to Earnhardt, Elliott lacks the pure speed needed to outrun the No. 4 of Harvick. Then again, no one has but Harvick and his team have found a way to beat themselves on many occasions. If Elliott makes it to the Championship 4, anything can happen.
Follow Dan Beaver on Twitter
More from my site
- 10 Reasons Why Chase Elliott Will Win A NASCAR Title In 2018
Chase Elliott celebrates in victory lane after winning the NASCAR race on Oct. 21, 2018 in Kansas City, Kansas. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)
- Chase Elliott needs an exceptional performance at Phoenix For Chase Elliott and the other drivers outside of the top four this week, it all comes down to the race at Phoenix (2:30 p.m. ET on NBC) and to advance, Elliott will likely need the […]
- I’m the NASCAR Cup series title favourite now Penske's Joey Logano says he is the favourite for the 2018 NASCAR Cup series title.Logano has his place in the final four confirmed ahead of the Phoenix decider, with regular season […]
- Gaby Lopez wins Blue Bay LPGA title in China HAINAN ISLAND, China -- Gaby Lopez won her first LPGA Tour event with a 1-over 73 to finish one shot ahead of Ariya Jutanugarn in the Blue Bay tournament in China.Lopez had bogeys on the […]
- First year, first title, tenth attempt, success for Liao Cheng-Ting and Lin Yun-Ju
by Ian Marshall, Editor
Urged forward by the passionate crowd in the Eriksdalshallen, Mattias Falck and Kristian Karlsson established a 7-2 lead in the opening game; they […]
- Miguel Berchelt defends junior lightweight world title with 9th-round TKO of Miguel ‘Mickey’ Roman In the lead-up to their fight, Miguel Berchelt and Miguel "Mickey" Roman excitedly talked about producing the kind of battle on Saturday night that would go down in Mexican boxing lore […]
- Road round-up: Chelimo takes US 5km title in New York, Tibedu breaks Hangzhou course record| News Olympic 5000m silver medallist Paul Chelimo broke the course record and Emily Sisson picked up her first win at the USATF 5K Championships, hosted by the Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K […]
- WBO sets mandatories, outlines title status of Krzysztof Glowacki-Maksim Vlasov bout The WBO took care of several pieces of business at its annual convention, which ended on Friday in Panama City, Panama.The sanctioning body ordered some mandatory title bouts as well as […]
- Mikey Garcia vacates IBF lightweight title with eye on Errol Spence Jr. fight at welterweight Mikey Garcia vacated one of his lightweight world titles on Tuesday, a signal that he is moving closer to going up two weight divisions for the fight he has said he has wanted for months […]
- Nelly Korda claims first career LPGA title in Taiwan Nelly Korda celebrates winning the Swinging Skirts LPGA Taiwan Championships. Kevin Lee/Getty ImagesNelly Korda shot a four-under 68 to win the Taiwan Championship on Sunday for her first […]